Thursday 3 November 2011

Age Uk!

Sooooo this project i'm nervous and excited about! The brief tells us that we have to research Dementia and create a page for an Age UK booklet containing information to help people recognise and understand the disease. We must create interview a patient at a local Age UK home and find out what their life is like. We explore their timeline and make a picture of how it relates to them now. 

I saw the person I was interviewing today, his name is douglas, and douglas was a very nice man. He had been suffering from dementia and also had a learning difficulty. I found it very tough trying to talk about Douglas's life, he seemed to be confused and it was quite distressing to see what dementia can do to you. I did manage to get a few pieces of information from Douglas it is quite unsure whether they are reliable facts or not, he seemed to forget something just as i'd asked i to him and i felt like the 'yes' or 'no' i got was just out of habit and he'd already forgotten what i'd asked him. Though Douglas really did enjoy telling me about his pet dog, and his favourite meals, I think i need a little more help next time I see Douglas as I think his dementia is more progressed than I had initially realised, and also he has an accent that I find a little hard to understand. I have a ton of notes from his every day life and I really hope next time I can find out some more about his history. It would be nice if i got to see some pictures too, I did ask him, I hope that he can remember to do that, it won't be long before I visit again for the 2nd time. He told me he couldn't wait to see me again for the second interview, and i am really excited for the next one. Douglas was a lovely person, I have a feeling he'll remember me next time I go :)


This is Douglas.

Douglas gave me permission to post his picture and some details on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment