Tuesday 25 October 2011

Holiday! & On the March!

It's a one week holiday now and we've been given a new project to think about. It's called 'on the march' and it only lasts for a very short amount of time. I've got to think and have this ready for when I get back to Uni!

The brief is about expressing your opinions over an issue in todays world. For example - Vegetarianism, or Communism, ect. We have to create a banner / poster and visually tell people and perhaps even convince people that they should take our thoughts into consideration. This isn't a 'quick do it before I go to see my favourite band' kind of thing, this is a 'must get my issue noticed', a plea for help maybe..

The first thing that comes to mind is an issue I have with fashion, and the way the fashion industry depict women. 

I don't like the fact that all the models you tend to see on the adverts have been photoshopped so much they give us a false sense of perfection, they should make real women be models -  like boots. I like boots, they don't sell us false expectations. So many women, and even a some men are so affected by this, they feel so imperfect that they resort to many kinds of dangerous things, including starvation, isolation and even suicide. I think this is taken too lightly, and i want to tell people - even though they've been told hundreds of times before, that this needs to stop now, it's killing people, it's making good peoples lives hell. I need to tell them that no matter how much money they make, a life is worth more than that. 

I read a growing amount of so called 'thInspiration' aka 'thinspo' websites that post pictures of severely underweight models, and begin to see that being thin is the only thing that matters. More recently i've stumbled across a website i read about in the news. It's called 'Skinny Gossip' and what i read horrifies me and makes me incredibly angry. It's a blog written by a young women with very narrow-minded views on weight & looks. She insults various people who for example used to be underweight, and have grown to be a healthy weight. 


http://www.skinnygossip.com/barbara-palvin-weight-gain/

I was totally horrified when i read this, how can she call her fat!? She was really too skinny before, I get the idea that she prefers her skinny, but insulting her and calling her 'fat' and saying all those terrible things across her blog is totally uncalled for. If this whole fashion issue hadn't have started, would this blogger be like the rest of us and perhaps not so aggressive towards people who have weight? I think so. I know that is causes various psychological disorders - leading to physical ones, and even death.

'Fat stomach and legs. Thick even by Victoria's Secret standards.' - what's that supposed to mean?! I'd say she's slim and toned.

No comments:

Post a Comment