Monday 17 October 2011

Final Totem post!

So i've finished my totem! I'm actually impressed with the outcome, even though I was a bit rushed at the end. We've had a professional photographer in to come and take professional pictures of our totems. I'm impressed with the look of everyone elses, but i have infact encountered a problem whilst photographing it - it's too big! It's about 10 foot tall and no one is tall enough to hold it! So i hung it on the wall and had to remove some of the nice string i made, but it looks good.

I've felt for the first time like I'm getting closer to how I want my work to be in the future. I love the sewing, it comes really natural to me. I feel like i've explored with materials and everything. I love including cultural influences in my work. I feel like i'm giving everyone an opportunity to explore maybe where they can't. I suppose it's a way to express my need to see, and experience the world around me, and when i do, it's a release for me to express how it makes me feel. I'm happy! 

Unfortunately though, problems come along the way too. I've had a few more problems with it than i did intent, but i suppose 'tis the way of life'.I always say 'I should have left myself more time'... to fix these little things. My first problem with actually making the totem itself was that I was rushed with time to think up any really good ideas for the deer, so i just made the head and it's a bit flat and shrivelled. It also doesn't hang very well. It looks kind of like a unicorn too. Oh well, I'll do better next time I come to doing this.

The second problem I've briefly mentioned, but yes the totem was way too long, and the professional pictures don't look as good as i'd hoped really. I'm growing from this experience, i MUST leave myself more time near to the end of projects to perfect my creations....


No comments:

Post a Comment