Saturday 20 April 2013

Inspiration from every corner

In my own time i often take to twitter and blogger to discover more people like me to find inspiration and nice things to fill up my archive, and i've come across some really nice personal blogs of a couple of illustrators, artists and photographers I really just want to commend. 



Annarack

Annarack is a jack of all trades. I've been visiting and re visiting her blog many times now, and every time theres more artsy stuff to feed me for the day. She does a selection of illustrations and photographs, and also makes her own merchendise. I've also come to notice that a lot of new artists are taking to Etsy to sell their products and spread their news  on social media sites to keep buyers coming. A useful element to having a successful shop that i have picked up on is having everything easily reproducible, for example, you can sell prints of your work in simple pieces of framed paper, or create a zine and have it reproduced. The main audience for these types of things are other artists looking for inspiration. Artist to artist trade is probably a good route to go down when getting yourself started, because you start to gain important contacts and friends within the industry, it also creates a healthy community to share your work and inspiration. I've also noticed a lot of successful artists tend to sell their goods on apparel and jewellery, which is also a very good use for work. I personally find artwork more appealing when i can wear it and make my look unique (and not everything from top shop!). It's important to a lot of youngsters today to be completely unique and have things which appear 'unobtainable' to reach a higher social status. Anyway, moving on to my quick interview with Annarack, it's interesting to hear what she has to say about her experiences in the art world! 










What is the first thing you do when you need a bit of inspiration?


A great source of inspiration for me is going out for walks to refresh my mind. I also do a lot of research through books, Tumblr and Pinterest.



Are there any specific artists that inspire you? Why?

There are so many that I love and find inspiring, illustrators like Nigel Peake and Lizzy Stewart have influenced me in the sense of imagery and colour.

Are there any classic artists (e.g Picasso) that inspire you?

I'm not really into art, especially modern art. I do however love a bit of Monet, Hans Holbein and Renaissance period art. But I wouldn't say they inspire me, its just that I like them.

Where did you study art?

I went too Cumbria Institute of the Arts and studied 'Contemporary Applied Arts', qualifying as a Printer and Weaver.

Do you have any ongoing theories or meanings within your work ?

I just draw whatever takes my fancy at the time. I do base some of my illustrations  on what is in the fashion and on trend.

What methods and techniques do you use when making your illustrations?

There is lots of doodling and sketching out of ideas in creating new illustrations and jewellery designs. I always bring a little sketchbook with me when I go for days out so if I see anything that inspires me I will doodle it down. I also bring my camera with me everywhere I go to document things of interest to me, that I think I can translate into an illustration.

How do you go about putting yourself out in the art world?

Ever since I set my blog up it has enabled me to share not just my illustrations, but the processes involved in creating them. It also links up to all my other sites like Flickr and Twitter. Blogging is one of the best platforms to promote your work.

What kinds of art are you more likely to purchase? E.g a print, a t-shirt, a zine?

I love collecting lots of prints from some of my favourite illustrators and plastering them on my walls. I also love to collect zines, stickers and badges.
What kinds of your artwork sell the best?

My hand drawn jewellery is my best seller.



Anna x



I want to say thank you so much anna for your wonderful insight, I am preparing for the world outside now and things like this really help me think about how I will cope. I also admire your honestly within your answers, as I can tell it comes from the real you. Thanks again anna! :)

Here is her Twitter

Here is her Blog

Go check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely feature and lovely words xxx

    ReplyDelete