Monday 29 April 2013

Hopes, Fears & Opportunities Part II

So I think no is a pretty good time to start writing my Hopes & fears! It's 1 week until the deadline, and I'm pretty scared! With everything still digital it's making me nervous, I'll feel much better when I have more physical stuff to hand. At the minute I have a pretty big 'To-Do' list, and I've managed to get a lot of stuff crossed off. There are a couple of things left, but what's scary is that they are pretty big things, so to speak, and will be quite time consuming.

My hopes for my Final Major Project are pretty simple, my grade. It's not necessarily what I should be focusing solely on right now, but at this point I can't blame myself, since it's the one thing we have been working hard to get since we joined university, and right now it's very important to me! So I am hoping for a 2.1. Grades aside, what I want more than to leave with a grade, is to leave with a lavish portfolio of work that my style shines through on! I want to start a small brand and online shop which sells my work put into fashion (so my dress making skills can come into play after being dormant since highschool!) so for example, you could but t-shirts, skirts, hoodies, and also publish zines every few months to keep myself creative. Next year I hope to have started doing this, along side re-sitting my maths GCSE. I have already made preparation for this, since enrolling myself on a Numeracy course after Cristmas, I have been taking some afternoons out to study so I will be eligible for my GCSE course next year. Along side my learning Maths and doing some creative things, I hope to have a job as a teaching assistant. I have a few friends teaching at an college I used to attend that it very arty, so it would fit right in! This would help fund me through the year until I am able to do my PGCE in Teaching, since I want to become an art teacher.
In terms of the shows at the end of the year, I am really looking forward to making my own space. It's a good chance to start experimenting with big things like this, and it will be a lot of fun. I have also decided to get together with a few friends from surface design and illustration and attend another Teenage Market, and some of the Hand Made Market events going on. There are a couple more events in Marple & Heaton Moor run by another group of artist that does the same thing. And that reminds me, about a month ago I recieved an e-mail about my work. It was from a man who runs a similar event to those, but in Oldham, he admired my work and promised me a table if i was to attend, but unfortunately it was too close to the deadline for me to get anything extra done, so I have postponed it until next year!
During the summer holidays I will also be taking a 2 month vacation to Bulgaria to do some sight seeing and work experience. I have arranged to stay with a family there and I will be taking care of the farm and also I will be going into an Orphanage to do some fun activities with the children there.

Lastly, my fears! Yes we are here again. These last few months have been up and down. Right when I'm starting to feel good about something I become pulled down by worrying. I have had a few things go very wrong in the last few weeks and I have broken down, it has been hard to pick myself up but there is nothing I can do but to move on and try and find a way around it. I am still uncertain of my work, and I sometimes think to myself whether anyone likes it, or they are just trying to be nice. I know I've developed my style for good now, the only thing i have to perfect is professionalism. I know the past ew years my professionalism has improved a lot, but it will always need work. I have spend quite a while in Photoshop teaching myself different techniques to achieve better quality work, and it really has made the difference. Again I am struggling with time management, but the idea of 16 weeks hasn't been in my favour. I much prefer to get something done faster rather than lingering around - i have always worked that way. Having more space to fill is scary to me. I start to panic and over think and misjudge what i have to do. Towards the end it becomes a lot clearer. It's a good thing I have picked up on this because I know what kind of things I will be more suited to.

I have yet to start my animation but I know exactly how I want it to look & how I'm going to do it. I have used stop motion before so I know the basics. The only thing that has worried me a lot has been the production of my mannequins, there has been a misunderstanding with the ceramics department downstairs and it turns out my mannequin wasn't ready, so i had to get it fired last minute and (completely unrelated) it randomly turned out smashed. It was completely out of my hands and it has given me a bit of a knock today. I know what I have to do to fix it though.

Scary times!



What's left of my dolly :(

No comments:

Post a Comment