Sunday 31 March 2013

Turners Art Challenge

So a couple of weeks ago a small art shop close to my uni has decided to make an 'art challenge' called 7x5. Anyone of any experience can enter for £2, 50p of which goes to a local charity and then you get a small 7x5 inch canvas to draw onto. All the drawing will go on display in a small gallery they have opened upstairs. I decided to enter, since it's for a good cause, it's an opportunity to get my work in a gallery for free, and it's a ton of fun! So this last to weeks I have been planning what to make, and actually making my small piece! For the challenge, you can work in any media you want, the content can be anything you want, as long as it fits on the 7x5 canvas you are given, so it's pretty open. One of the main challenges is to think of a design that would fit onto a small canvas (which is why it's called the '7x5 art challenge'), and i don't mean to boast, but being taught how to be an illustrator may have given me a better consideration for using space well. I know all artists will have experience with this, but usually you create work to any specific size that you like, but going through the process of making editorial images, I have learned and practiced well how to make good use of space, and not complain!

So moving on from my mahoooosive ego (yeah right), I'll give you a bit of insight about my work and the meaning behind it. The piece I have named 'Unbound'. It took me longer to decide the name rather than actually making it, but i think the name is a good fit and says a lot about it. Being hit with a lot of issues regarding self confidence and not being afraid to EXPRESS yourself lately, I've decided to stick to my guns and go along with the theme. It sends a positive message out, and I feel very passionate about it, so naturally i went with it. If you didn't know I'm actually basing my entire FMP on this subject, so I'm really in the mood! The concept is that there is the girl in the picture, inside a picture frame, her face is neutral, but her hair is very striking. The hair itself is reaching out into the white plains of the canvas and even spreading to the side of the canvas that you would only be able to see from a certain angle, as if it is going to crawl off the canvas. Her eyes are closed and the mandala and piercing eyes on her forehead indicate she is using her mental power to reach a heightened level of ingenuity. It's all very intense. Her hair is laden with white dots that look like tiny stars in a black night sky, as if it contains infinite amounts of energies. I can't explain much more in words, please take a look for yourself. I am very proud of this picture! 




No comments:

Post a Comment