Friday 4 May 2012

I Wish I Made...

I wish I made a piece of work by Leif Podhajsky. It took me a long time to figure out which piece i actually wanted to create, but in the end I settled with my all time favourite, perhaps one of his most noticed pieces of work which he created in 2010. Infact got rated the 2nd best Album cover on redefinemag.com. It is the album cover of a Psychedelic rock band called Tame Impala - Innerspeaker. Leif is a Digital Artist who digitally manipulates images so that they become psychedelic. His images tend to be very bright and summery, more often than not they are repetitive, using geometric shapes and symmetry to create digital  illusions. His work is very natural and actually on his site, he says that he loves psychedelic and natural things, we have that in common. Back in Year 1 of my course, I did some photography, and since i've learnt about Leif I've noticed how similar the photos are. I want to learn how to manipulate the images as he does, and make them so serene. When I see the images, i can hear almost the music that comes from it. 

The music itself is actually really nice and exactly what I thought it would sound like:


Another reason why I like Leif a lot is that he mainly works with bands to create album covers, something which i have taken interest in, and something i would perhaps like to do more of. Leif uses colour very cleverly - it lightens the mood of the image, which ofcourse is perfect because the effect he's going for is to make an upbeat album cover for upbeat music. He draws the sound perfectly.

I hope in the future I am able to create album covers like this, along with many other impressive covers he has created. The other album cover I was going to do was a less well known piece, but equally as beautiful as this one. 

The other piece is for a band called 'SPLASHH' and it is really just a collage of photos completely saturated, it feels warm, and sweet when I look at it, like a hot summers day - like the days you can imagine if you were back the 60's at your favourite band's show in a field, with a big floral dress and a headband..... 

It almost looks like watercolour has washed the colour about, and I love it. I love using watercolours too. I always use bright hippie-like colours in my work, and i do not intend to stop! I also really like the simplicity of the circle with the album details in it, it fits in perfectly well with the image but doesn't draw, or lack attention. It's just having the skill to know small things like that look good, I did try and create an image based off this with a photo I took a while ago: I do things like this in my free time for fun, whilst listening to relaxing music.


I'd use this music, it's one of my all time favourites, it's Tycho and the song is called 'A walk':
The original album cover is actually really impressive, and not far off Leif's work, but I like mine :) I'm really proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment