Wednesday 14 March 2012

Bolton & Manchester Museums!


This week I went to a couple of museums. The Manchester University museum and the Bolton one which also has a little but fascinating Aquarium.As I like nature and animals in general, I was extremely fascinated by every little bit of them both. There were quite a few live exhibits which were incredibly fun to watch. I enjoyed looking around the animals a lot, however I was more interested in the extinct spiecies and old fossils. 
I could probably write a lot about each and every exhibit there was there, however I chose to do so about two in specific. Ever since I was a child, I always loved dinosaurs and their alleged behaviour. There was a cast of a few dinosaurs, the most interesting one was the skull of a Tyrannosaurus rex which was acquired in the 1900's. It was purchased from a museum in New York which holds the original specimen. It was the third ever found and named 'Tyrant lizard king'! There was another casting of a Tuojiangosaurus (a what!?) and it also had a very interesting name: 'Tuo River Lizard with many spikes' and as amazing as it sounds, that giant 7 meters long and 3 tons dinosaur only ate grass, unlike the T.Rex.
I am looking forward to visiting more museums in future after this incredible experience.

I also take interest in Taxidermy, I just find it so strange that dead animals can be made to look so alive, when I was a child i'd be around my granddads mansion in spain and there were always dead animals in glass cabinets and animal skins hung on the walls. Ever since then i've been intrigued. I know most people find it revolting but I just find it so interesting, i don't find it scary at all, and yet i'm scared by mannequins? I'm not really scared of them but well, lets say me in a room alone full of mannequins would not be an ideal situation! 















This bird along with many others became extinct because of man king in the 1900's :(















How cute is this!? Howkapow!




These pictures are where I got my goat horn ideas from, it's fascinating!






I know I ended up posting a lot of photos here, (about 40!) but i had a TON more, These were my favourites and I couldn't shorten my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment