Friday 30 December 2011

Martin Haake

Back in the first year, I had to e-mail Martin Haake for some information regarding a piece of his work.

I e-mailed him asking about how he made a piece of work, a general who was on the cover of the 3x3 magazine. I wasn't holding out for a reply because i know how busy they can be, but i was astounded by the detailed e-mail i received very shortly after. 

I asked Martin what his inspirations were, how, and why he made the work. 

He replied:

"Hi Rachael,

thank you so much for your mail and your kind words regarding my work!
I'll try to give you a little bit of info about the 3x3 cover.
Charles Hively, the editor of 3x3, wanted to feature me in his magazine and asked me to do the cover.
The brief was totally free. The only thing I had to think of was the number "11" I had to integrate into the image as this was the cover for issue No "11"...
I wamted to do some decorative illustration that stands for its own and I always liked the decorative elements of uniforms so I decided to do a
portrait of a general. But it should of course be no "militaristic" man but more of a outsider-art-general as I love the work of outsider artists like
Martin Ramirez, Bill Taylor etc. And I also wanted to create something more graphic and simple like the wonderful dolls of Alexander Girard.
The "11" I put on one of the medals.
I painted the background, cut out elements, did some drawings and put everything at the photoshop.
Some weeks ago I was having a lecture and was also speaking about this image and prepared some images...Here they are:

Alexander Girard's doll:


my first rough:



some generals I used as a reference:





some medal doodles:



and the result:

I hope this helps!

If you need some more info please let me know.

All the best!
Martin"


It was so kind of him to give me everything i had asked for and more, so many roughs he'd used and even pictures he used for reference!







No comments:

Post a Comment