Tuesday 2 August 2011

Martin Haake

Martin Haake is an illustrator and artist who has lived in London but is now living in Berlin, with his wife and children. He's inspired by american folk art. One of his most famous piece of work was a cover for the 3x3 magazine. It's called the General and it was selected for the 'communication arts' annual. I was also lucky enough to bump into him in Berlin when I had planned to meet Olaf Hajek, and by chance he came by the studio! He even showed me a power point he had made for a client, and showed how he makes his work now. He used to paint, but now we have more advanced technology he uses photoshop to make it easier to change things for the clients rather than having to paint over something and start again. He also sent me an e-mail containing various pictures of inspiration and pictures of the General before it was finalised.


So last year I was given a brief to recreate a piece of art work that we were given, and I was given Martin Haake's 'General' and after I did that, I seemed to find in myself a process that I feel I'd never really felt much, but it was so inspirational to me. He continues to be an inspiration to me today.

Here is my recreation of the General:


No comments:

Post a Comment