Wednesday 10 August 2011

Gallery Visit

So this summer I was given a brief which said that I had to go to any art gallery I liked, and pick a partner to go with. Wendy was my partner, and so we decided that we'd go to the Manchester Art gallery. The brief specified that we had to choose any image we liked, gather information about it and recreate the images in any way we desired. We would go home and recreate the image individually, but then we'd have to find a way to exchange our recreations, whether in person or by e-mail, and then recreate their images, and we'd keep doing that until we have 6 images.

La Ville Petrifiee (The Petrified City)



So today Wendy and I met up in Manchester to go and Visit the Manchester Art gallery. We spent about 2 hours looking around for potential images to recreate. In the end we narrowed it down to about 4 different images, but in the end we decided that it was 'The Petrified City' by Max Ernst. The image itself is oil on board, with paper stuck on it which had been rubbed with textures, a technique called 'Frottage'. It was the colours of the image that caught my attention, and also the coldness or the sky. It was created in 1933 because of the world wars, and for me is captures the anxiety of that time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment