Friday 18 January 2013

Final Major Project!

Wehey to no more journals and presentations! Ha!


Today marks the first actual day of the beginning of my Final major project! I'm still feeling pretty good about the fact that I got a really good grade for my first semester, i earned myself a 2.1! I finally feel as though I'm not holding myself back, it's really a nice fresh feeling.

I've also been thinking over the holidays what kind of a topic to base my FMP (Final Major Project) on. Although I know what I want to address I'm not sure how it's going to be, because my subject isnt very specific. So far I know I'm going to base my project on Social status and Suppression within society, it's definitely linked in with my Journal subject. The indians were suppressed for many years by the Western people, and forced to be and do things that was not 'their way', which sadly we also fall victim to within out own society! What i'm trying to get at is the pressure people put themselves and others under in order to make them conform to the way people want to see them, even though people tell us we are free, we are not. How can we be free if our choices are 'conform, or be outcast'?

"We all love freedom. We all love liberty. All that I wish to be is a free bird. However strong may be our wishes, or however right may be our opinions, there are people out there who try to keep us in shackles. People who try to keep us in bound, while trying to be free themselves. People who love freedom, but don't wish to share the freedom,"


"One is either free or one is not. The concept of freedom is an absolute. After all, one cannot be moderately dead or moderately loved or moderately free. It must always remain a matter of either or."

- The Duchess

So, I'm going to address the problem, which is vary vast in a way where i can connect to the 'victims' and people who are in desperate need of help! I want to help them obtain a sense of freedom and help them learn how to ignore everyone and not be afraid to be themselves! I feel very strongly towards this subject because I have been in that situation and you can feel very trapped. In more serious cases of these kinds of things, people are committing suicides, developing eating disorders, becoming afraid to even go out because of the way people are expecting us to be, a lot of pressure is generated from the media, and celebrity role models.

I went out into the city and decided to start by asking individuals who look confident and different, because i want to know what makes them not afraid to put themselves out there in a different light. I wanted to get some really nice quotes to inspire some sketches and perhaps some ideas for later on in the project, to inspire others. The day was very successful, I met some really wonderful people, they were all very inspirational, and had very insightful chats linking to the cause and effects of the issue. 

I've only been doing some sketches linking to the quotes and issue so far, but I like where it's going.






No comments:

Post a Comment